After suffering from write block, heavily influenced by octopress super fast load time, I moved this blog to hugo.
Here’s some comparisons:
gem install bundler bundle install Fetching gem metadata from https://rubygems.org/........... Fetching version metadata from https://rubygems.org/... Fetching dependency metadata from https://rubygems.org/.. Installing rake 0.9.2.2 Using RedCloth 4.2.9 Installing chunky_png 1.2.5 Installing fast-stemmer 1.0.1 with native extensions Installing classifier 1.3.3 Installing fssm 0.2.9 Installing sass 3.2.9 Installing compass 0.12.2 Installing directory_watcher 1.4.1 Installing haml 3.1.7 Installing kramdown 0.13.8 Installing liquid 2.3.0 Installing syntax 1.0.0 Installing maruku 0.6.1 Installing posix-spawn 0.3.6 with native extensions Installing yajl-ruby 1.1.0 with native extensions Installing pygments.rb 0.3.4 Installing jekyll 0.12.0 Installing rack 1.5.2 Installing rack-protection 1.5.0 Installing rb-fsevent 0.9.1 Installing rdiscount 184.108.40.206 with native extensions Installing rubypants 0.2.0 Installing sass-globbing 1.0.0 Installing tilt 1.3.7 Installing sinatra 1.4.2 Installing stringex 1.4.0 Using bundler 1.10.6 Bundle complete! 15 Gemfile dependencies, 28 gems now installed. Use `bundle show [gemname]` to see where a bundled gem is installed.
brew install hugo mkdir themes git clone https://github.com/digitalcraftsman/hugo-cactus-theme themes/cactus
time bundle exec rake generate ## Generating Site with Jekyll unchanged sass/screen.scss Configuration from /path/to/erikzaadi.com/_config.yml Building site: source -> _site Successfully generated site: source -> _site bundle exec rake generate 10.31s user 1.14s system 99% cpu 11.527 total
time hugo 0 draft content 0 future content 83 pages created 92 paginator pages created 70 categories created in 266 ms hugo 0.66s user 0.08s system 229% cpu 0.321 total
I can’t measure how much faster it is while iterating on a blog post using
watch, but it’s simply frictionless with Hugo, livereload included, and blazingly fast.
I also took the opportunity to go through all of my old blog post and clean most of them up, keeping them as pure markdown as possible. No custom tags and such, so that if I’d want to move to metalsmith or any other static site generator, the move will be as smooth as possible.
The deployment is still done using
s3-cli which I already blogged about.